Why it takes time to obtain the Grant of Probate

As an executor, you are likely to need a Grant of Probate to enable you to carry out the deceased’s wishes as was set out in their will. The grant is formal confirmation from the probate court that the executors are legally entitled to administer the estate. You must apply for the Grant of Probate […]

Lost or unexpected beneficiaries when someone dies

It is not uncommon for executors to face some difficulty tracking down the beneficiaries of an estate, especially if the will was written many years ago. If there was no will, intestacy rules apply and there could be distant family members you did not previously know about. If beneficiaries cannot be found or someone unexpected […]

Dealing with estate debts

If you are an executor of an estate, you may need to deal with debts that have been left behind. Any estate may have debts to be considered, even if the deceased was wealthy. “Personal debts do not expire on death, they are carried over into the estate,” says Karen Starkey, of KWW’s Private Client […]

Deputyship – when a power of attorney is no longer an option

If your partner, a parent, or another close relative is losing their ability to manage their own affairs, you may be concerned about how much you can help, particularly where financial matters are concerned. If the person you care for has not made their own plans, such as by making a Lasting Power of Attorney […]

Powers of Attorney – it’s a matter of trust

With continuing advances in modern medicine, we are living longer and longer. And while we are able to keep our bodies healthy and fit into older age, often our minds cannot keep pace. A lasting power of attorney (LPA) provides an additional means of support among those you trust if you are no longer able […]

Why a legal expert is best for estate administration

Like many government organisations, Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Services (HMCTS) has been increasing its digital services over the past few years as it aims to provide a more streamlined system for probate registries. While the online service provides an option for executors and administrators to deal with an estate themselves, Karen Starkey, a solicitor […]

How to spot abuse of the elderly and vulnerable

As we continue our adjustment to living with Covid-19, concern over its effects on elderly and vulnerable people is mounting. The National Domestic Abuse Helpline has seen a 25 per cent increase in requests for help but many people do not associate domestic abuse with the elderly. For the sake of their physical health, many […]

Let lockdown be your spur to action on care planning

The coronavirus pandemic has heightened interest in taking control of your personal affairs and addressing important matters like Wills and powers of attorney. We have certainly seen an uptick in ‘private client’ work, and the lockdown measures have not prevented us from helping scores of people get these documents prepared. In some cases, we have […]

Who decides on my care arrangements if I have no power of attorney?

‘Never put off till tomorrow what may be done the day after tomorrow just as well,’ said Mark Twain in 1881 when, on average, men died at 50 and women reached 56. Nowadays, average life expectancy for men in the UK is 79 and for women it is 83, and one in every 14 people over […]

Making a Will after your spouse or partner has died

Coming to terms with the death of your spouse or partner will take time, but at some point you will need to think about financial and legal issues. Once probate has been obtained and their estate has been settled, you may need to think about whether you should make a Will – or amend any […]