How to approach buying a home with a septic tank

Sewers and human waste may not be the first things you think about when looking for a new home, but many rural and semi-rural properties do not have mains drainage and so rely on a septic tank. This can have important legal, practical, and costly implications, particularly since environmental regulations could mean that an old […]

Is now the right time to extend your lease?

If your home is leasehold, you could soon find it cheaper and easier to extend the term of your lease. This will usually make your property more valuable and, depending on how many years your lease has left, it can also make it easier to remortgage and more marketable when you come to sell. As […]

Common issues associated with leasehold properties

Recently, there has been widespread coverage of some of the problems associated with leasehold properties. These have ranged from escalating ground rents to exorbitant service charges. There’s also the thorny subject of exterior cladding. If you have concerns about selling your leasehold property, it is a good idea to talk to your solicitor early on […]

Everything you need to know about Stamp Duty

Note: This article is for general information only. It is not meant as financial advice, for which you need to consult a regulated specialist. Information is correct as at 11 February 2021. The Stamp Duty holiday announced by the Chancellor last summer led to a surge in property transactions as buyers rushed to get in […]

Get ready for the leasehold revolution!

Changes announced today by the Housing Secretary Robert Jenrick promise nothing short of a revolution in the market for leasehold properties.    Under our current rules, which were described by the Law Commission last year as a ‘medieval’ system characterised by high, escalating and onerous ground rents, excessive charges and profiteering by developers, freehold owners can increase the amount of ground rent payable […]

Accidental Landlord Covid-19 Q&A

The Government hurriedly introduced legislation to protect tenants during the current Covid-19 crisis, and these changes came into force from March 26, 2020 and will apply to most types of tenancy. Press coverage has largely focused on renters. But what if you are a buy-to-let or accidental landlord, or own a holiday home which you […]

Advice for landlords and tenants during the Covid-19 crisis

The Government published ‘Covid-19 and renting: guidance for landlords, tenants and local authorities’ on 28 March 2020. This guidance gives details of measures to help renters during the coronavirus crisis. It clarifies the proposals the Government announced previously for a temporary ban on evictions. Eve Crampsie of our property team reports. The measures could give […]

Homebuyers ‘duped’ over leasehold contracts

An investigation by the Competition and Markets Authority (CMA) has found home buyers have been tricked into signing up to costly and unfair leasehold contracts by house developers, writes Alex Riley, KWW’s specialist leasehold solicitor. The CMA inquiry took place after complaints from customers who had bought new build leasehold homes not realising they could […]

Gazundering, what it is and how to avoid it

A recent survey found over 40 per cent of all sellers are concerned about gazundering, a practice which tends to increase in a flat or falling property market. Here, Sarah Trickey, head of residential conveyancing at KWW, looks at the problem and offers some advice on how to ensure you sell your home at the […]

Running a business from home

More and more people are opting to start their own business or to join the gig economy, and the past decade has seen a 74% rise in the number of people working from home. Running a business from home can give you flexibility and make for a good work-life balance. It can also be an […]