Why a legal expert is best for estate administration

Like many government organisations, Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunal Services (HMCTS) has been increasing its digital services over the past few years as it aims to provide a more streamlined system for probate registries. While the online service provides an option for executors and administrators to deal with an estate themselves, Karen Starkey, a solicitor […]

Your Will: Don’t put it off!

Most people don’t like to think about their own mortality, but planning for the future is important to ensure your property, money and possessions are distributed the way you intend. Here. Alvin David, one of our Wills specialists, offers his thoughts on a very important subject… A study from YouGov in 2017 found that 62% […]

Making a Will when you retire

Having a Will is important for every adult but is even more so as you enter retirement and start to put your affairs in order. With time on your hands, it is a good opportunity to make an appointment with your solicitor to make or update your Will and plan for your old age while […]

Trustees’ duty to give information to beneficiaries

It can be flattering to be asked by a relative or close friend to be a trustee of their estate, but this is a role with important legal obligations and disputes can arise when beneficiaries do not agree with the actions of trustees. One such area of potential disagreement is the amount of information that […]

The probate process and our role

This quick-reference table explains the role of your solicitor at each of the various stages of obtaining probate. We hope this helps you to understand the process and how our expert lawyers can support you at every step of the way. You need to… Your solicitor will… Register the death with the localregister office. Obtain […]

Tax planning for your inheritance

Planning how to deal with your assets in a tax-efficient manner is an important but potentially complex task. An increasing number of estates will be liable to inheritance tax (IHT) on the owner’s death, so it is vital to consider how your Will can be drafted to reduce the amount of tax that will be […]

Busting the myths of cohabitation

Unmarried couples are not offered the same protection as married couples and civil partners. Cohabiting couples often assume that moving in together creates similar rights and responsibilities as marriage (so-called ‘common-law marriage’) or absolutely no rights at all. Both beliefs are wrong. If you are moving in together, or you are the parent of someone […]

Why we need to check your identity before we begin

The vast majority of our clients would never dream of doing anything illegal. However, a very tiny number of individuals may try to launder money through our accounts by instructing us to undertake work for them which at first sight appears legitimate but which is actually part of a process designed by them to hide […]

Your most valuable asset must be handled with care

Did you know there are more than 11 million people in the UK aged over 65, and nearly 80% own their own home. If you are of that generation, you might be thinking about how you can pass your assets to your children or grandchildren in the most tax-efficient way. Or perhaps you’re worried about […]